Friday, 6 January 2017

Book Review - My Sweet Revenge by Jane Fallon

My Sweet RevengeMy Sweet Revenge by Jane Fallon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My Sweet Revenge was a real page turner and Jane Fallon is the queen of the plot twist. Having said that, I started out believing that I’d unravelled this plot just a few pages in – but how wrong was I?
A novel written in two parts, mostly from the first person point of view of the main character, Paula, this novel moves at a comfortable pace, one I enjoyed and loved getting stuck into. On the whole characters are well defined and developed and the dialogue is realistic and moves the story along nicely.
It’s a very ‘grown up’ book with adult issues that play on the emotions. I felt angry and upset at times but Fallon laces the story with humour and witty comebacks from the cast of characters and I laughed out loud at least once.
I would recommend this book to readers of general and women’s fiction looking for a good writer to entertain when you want to snuggle up with a book and a cup of tea.
A couple of things I wasn’t sure I liked was the way the protagonist speaks directly to you as a reader at times and brings you into a conversation – those were the points of the novel I felt were forced and didn’t quite flow for me. Also, I got a little confused with the way the ending was told - jumping to three months on to a character I always thought was surplus to the story and then jumping back to find out what happened in the main plot. it could be because this was a galley copy and needed to be fixed. But you will find that there is a satisfying end to a satisfying story. Grab a copy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!