Tuesday, 22 November 2016

My Favourite Christmas Rom Coms

Originally posted on Reading...Dreaming on 21st October 2016


When it comes to Christmas and romantic comedies, I can’t get enough of the genre in book or film formats. There’s nothing better than getting snuggly with a good Christmas rom-com on the television, a glass of your favourite drink in hand and a box of tissues at the ready, even when you know there’s going to be a Happy Ever After. The same could be said for a good book at Christmas. Bring on the love and bring on the comedy, that’s what I say.
So what are my favourite rom-coms to get snuggly to at Christmas? Well the list was so long, I whittled it down to a top 5 – but even that was a hard decision.
So here goes:
No. 5 – The Holiday
This one stars one of my favourite actors, Jack Black. I absolutely adore this guy’s talent. It didn’t hurt the film to have the handsome Jude Law in a lead role either. But the best thing about this film is that there are two happy endings – you can’t get better than that!
Favourite Quote: “Iris, in the movies we have leading ladies and we have the best friend. You, I can tell, are a leading lady, but for some reason, you're behaving like the best friend.”
No. 4 – Matchmaker Santa
Now this one was not on at the cinema. It’s one of a billion “made for television” films that for me was above average and could have given some of the blockbusters a run for their money. It has a touch of magic in it and sees an engaged couple being kept apart and finding that they each fall in love with someone else! Sounds weird but you have to trust me on this one.
Favourite Quote: “ [Man on Plane]‘Did you ask Santa for something special?’ [Melanie] ‘I asked for true love.’
One of my favourite actors for rom-com is in this one – Sandra Bullock. Love her. And I love this dreamy film – excuse the pun. But I love films with a twist of fortune; falling in love with one guy who doesn’t know you exist only to find the one for you is right under your nose. It’s a common theme in this genre but I don’t care. No matter how contrived, this well acted film has to be seen to be believed.
Favourite Quote: “And who are you, Jack, the happiness guru?
Excuse the double up but by cheating I get to have 6 films on my top 5! These films both star a great pairing of actors who work so well together. Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks are great in straight films as well as comedy. I am just in a state of heavenly bliss as I watch either of these films and they are the ones I have the tissues out for, just waiting for that Happy Ever After to arrive. Great stuff.
Favourite Quotes: “That’s your problem! You don’t want to be in love. You want to be in a love movie!” “People are always telling you that change is a good thing. But all they're really saying is that something you didn't want to happen at all... has happened.”
No 1. – Serendipity
One of the best themes a writer can work with is the one of Fate and that’s what this film is all about. It begins in New York as two people, already in separate relationships, meet while Christmas shopping and both want to buy the same pair of gloves. Years later, will they meet again? There are some films you can just watch over and over again, even if you know what’s coming next, and this is one of them for me. Such a beautiful story – I can’t get enough of it and that’s why I made it No. 1!
Favourite Quote: “I first came in because of the name: Serendipity. It's one of my favourite words.

Now you tell me, what’s your favourite romantic comedy Christmas film?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!