Saturday, 26 November 2016

Book Review - A Year And A Day

A Year and a DayA Year and a Day by Isabelle Broom
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I wanted to read this book based on the description, I wasn't familiar with the author and read this copy for NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sadly the style of writing was not for me. The pace was slow and I found myself skimming through chunks of texts which only seemed to repeat the characters' emotions or state of mind but in a different location in Prague.

The premise was good but I was disappointed by the story telling. While the author uses POV with intelligence and consistency, I really couldn't care less about any of the characters, even though they all went on a journey of self realisation. I had lost interest in them by a third of the way through. I think the main reason I read until the end was because I'd guessed one of the plot lines and wanted to see if I was correct. I was. In fact I'd guessed the ending to the story of all the characters.

Broom writes with heart on the subjects covered and I'm pretty sure that will help sell this book to a large number of readers of this type of women's fiction.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!