Friday, 15 July 2016

Writing A Christmas Novel - Part Four

Last time when I talked about my latest novel Single by Christmas I showed you the finished book cover but I didn't talk about the subtitle of the book. On my book it reads:
A funny, heart warming, feel good, Christmas romance
The above describes the book I set out to write and I really hope that it proves to be just that to many people. I wanted my subtitle to be informative, to the point and not misleading. I'm not sure if that's the right approach but it seemed the right thing to do.

Sometimes, though, books can have a subtitle that is more of sales pitch than anything else.

The last book I read was 'A year of being single', by Fiona Collins whose subtitle in the Amazon description read:
The laugh-out-loud romantic comedy that everyone's talking about

Though it isn't printed on the cover, it does form part of the subtitle in the book description. And I'm assuming this subtitle was added later, after it was discovered that people did actually laugh out loud and after everyone began talking about it. Otherwise it's all just hype and I wonder if, as a writer trying to sell books, I should adopt such a tactic? Hmm - I think not.

I chose my subtitle, as I say, based on how I'm hoping the reader will feel and not trying to coax them into thinking the book is something it's not.

That said - I do need to market my book and I'll talk more about that next time.

In the meantime, you might want to read my book review for A Year Of Being Single here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!