Wednesday, 6 July 2016

Book Review - She Just Can't Help Herself by Ollie Quain

What they said about She Just Can't Help Herself:

Everybody thinks Ashley Jacobs is #slaying life
With her hot job on a style magazine, cool wardrobe, attitude to match and a cat called Kat Moss – Ashley is fashion. However, beneath the Photoshopped fabulousness she’s on a downward spiral; (not) dealing with rising debts, insurmountable problems in her relationship and growing dread over a rival at work.
…but one woman knows the truth.
As kids, Tanya Dinsdale – nicest of natures, nasty shoes – was Ashley’s best friend. But the darkest of betrayals in their teens made them the worst of enemies. It’s taken Tanya more than a decade to get over what happened. Her future is finally looking good. So, the last person either would want to see is the other. Then their adult worlds collide…

What I say:

This, NetGalley, Advanced Reading Copy of She Just Can’t Help Herself written by Ollie Quain was given to me for an honest review. I finished it yesterday and can honestly say I enjoyed it on the whole. I particularly couldn’t put it down towards the end when the story was ‘hotting up’.

I must say that the initial pages were hard to get into, purely because I wasn’t so sure about the writer’s style which did little to grab my attention. It seemed too full of fashion world journalist speak that was a bit off putting to me but I allowed the story to unfold and so my enjoyment increased.

What I liked in particular was the story itself. Told by the two main, female protagonists, Ashley and Tanya, we have the story of two women who became best friends as young girls but by the time they were seventeen a life changing situation arises that sees them unable to resolve the matter and they never speak again until much further down the line when their worlds collide – in more ways than one. Sound interesting? Well it is.

I liked that my guesses in the plot happened as I thought they would, but even better were the plot twists I didn’t see coming. Good stuff.

Good, too, was the development of most of the main characters and the, more often that not, flowing dialogue. The times I didn’t like the dialogue was when people spoke as if they were given words by a journalist who didn’t pay enough attention to making her characters sound ‘real’. Maybe you’ll pick up on it – it wasn’t always present but when it was it got on my nerves.

Generally I liked the author’s writing style and use of flashbacks. Though I do have to say some flashbacks were overly long, especially at the very end, when I was getting agitated by how long the writer was taking to round things off, she goes and throws in another flashback! Yikes. And, maybe because this was an ARC, I couldn’t understand why people spoke sometimes with contracted verbs in one sentence and didn’t in the next. Curious and also annoying.

I’m still not sure why this book was giving its title or cover – neither seemed to fit somehow.

Generally, though, I think this book will have a lot appeal for a lot of people so it’s worth grabbing a copy. It won’t blow your mind but it will make for a pretty decent read.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!