Tuesday, 14 June 2016

Good Reviewer V Bad Reviewer

Book Reviews - Every author needs them and every author dreads the big bad review. But if you're going to put a book out there, you have to be prepared to be judged, right?

I haven't had a bad review so far (nothing below 3 Stars) but I have had two very bad reviewers!

I call them bad reviewers because they don't give other readers anything to go on. I had a bad reviewer for Sleeping With Your Best Friend. The reviewer gave me 3 Stars because one of my female characters did something that she thought was not very nice and did not show a female in a positive light. For that reason she did not like the character.

But the reviewer missed the point. I wanted you to not like what my character did. She was not a nice person - she wasn't supposed to be positive female character. Therefore, didn't I achieve what I set out to achieve?

Another bad reviewer of Natalie's Getting Married (also a 3 Star review so not bad) criticised me for getting something wrong about the 80's. My book starts in 1990! Ho hum.

I thought this post was going to be a rant but there's not point in ranting and raving. Everyone is free to write a review in the way they think a review should be written but here are a few things that might be helpful to other readers and to writers:



2 comments:

  1. That first reviewer sounds like she's got an unrealistic expectation of women and is applying it everywhere.

    I've had one bad reviewer so far. They read my YA Being Human and was mad it was nothing like the TV show even though there were plenty of indications it wasn't affiliated with the show. It amused me more than anything because I expected to get at least one review like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to laugh don't you? And hope that readers like that are in the minority or that they don't waste everyone's time by giving an out there review like that!

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!