Tuesday, 24 May 2016

To Be Free or Not To Be

There's a lot of controversy surrounding whether a writer (or any artist for that matter) should offer their work for free.

Up until recently, for me, the answer to the question would have been a resounding, 'No way Jose!' But I've caved.

Writers are already faced with massive competition from the leisure industry and getting their books in front of the buying public isn't easy. A lot of people spend their time in front of the television or other screen, surfing the net or gaming and it seems that reading a book is taking a back seat.


With so many forms of entertainment at our fingertips that are free, it's not surprising that some writers want and need to entice consumers away from their screens for a bit of a read every now and again.

So that does, sadly, mean that a carrot is needed. To me it naturally follows that as a new and independent writer, I need to do something drastic for people to know I'm here, that I write and I'd love for you to read me. There's an extraordinarily high volume of books on sale, of which many will never be seen. Very upsetting when you think of that book you spent years writing, which made you forget when you last mowed the lawn, cost you your relationship - or at least several episodes of Eastenders - is out there waiting to be read by somebody - anybody? please?
Not only have I made one of my books perma free, I've decided to offer my latest novel, Natalie's Getting Married for free to download on Kindle over the coming Bank Holiday Weekend. (Well it's a Bank Holiday in the UK, 27th to 30th May 2016).

I'm hoping it will encourage people who would never have known I exist, to notice me. Maybe they will become interested in what I write and might look out for my future books. Maybe they will Like me on Facebook - who knows? It's worth a try, right?

How it works out for me I'll only know after this weekend so I'll keep you posted.


Writers - Have you ever offered a book for free? If so, how did it work out, if at all?

Readers - What's your favourite pastime and how many books could you read over a month?

8 comments:

  1. I had a short story as perma free for a while and it's up on Wattpad for free. Free does seem to be the prevailing way to get readers to notice you. Or at least a few. I know lots of people download a free book with zero intention of ever reading it, but if you can reach just the right people then you end up with fans who want to give you their money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not something I would have ever considered before but it seems everyone wants something for nothing. I have no idea if I will be noticed by the 'right' people, but here's hoping!

      Delete
  2. I've found that writing platforms like Wattpad is a great place to find new readers. If you join the Wattpad romance club for instance, you can advertise your Wattpad story for free on the noticeboard. That way you reach readers who might otherwise have missed your stories. Something short and snappy like your AtoZ story will work great there. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Ronel. I did sign up for Wattpad but haven't used it. I'll try your suggestion :)

      Delete
  3. I used to serialize my books on one of my blogs, and when they were done I'd pull all the posts so I could sell the books. I could see giving away a book for free for a limited time as a promotion, but I can't see doing it permanently. I've discovered a lot of amazing authors on Amazon through free promotions.

    BTW, I've nominated you for the Leibster Award. You can check it out here: http://rightwriterright.blogspot.ca/2016/05/lookee-what-i-got.html :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nomination, I'll do my best to participate but it's a very busy time for me. Sorry for the late reply but my notifications were switched off for some reason!

      Delete
  4. I agree...free? All the time it takes, the edits to process, sweating over just the right cover...free? On behalf of authors everywhere, I feel for you. I've gone to the edge of free and came back with a .99 cent price tag. I just can't do free. There is worth in it. Nevertheless, I see your logic. You just want someone to try you out. I wish you all the fortunate free has to offer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we all have to try certain things, don't we? I did notice a vast increase in my sales rank because a lot more people have noticed me now and the sales are better than before my free promotion.

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!