Monday, 9 May 2016

Reflections on the A to Z Challenge 2016

It was the first time of taking the challenge and straight away I was faced with my first big challenge - My theme!

In the end I decided to do what (I hope) I do best, and that is to write a story. My mission was to create a short romance in 26 mini chunks and these are my reflections on how I think the month went:

I knew that as a new blogger with no following to speak of and not being part of what I gathered later was a close community of core bloggers, it was doubtful that I would have anyone follow the story from beginning to end. But it's called a challenge, right? So I challenged myself.

I kept all posts as small as possible and tried to make them as appealing as possible, within my genre.

I was chuffed that I did have at least two people who stuck with me and a good handful who followed the posts and returned to comment whenever they could.

I found it hard to visit as many blogs as I'd liked because of things that happened in April that I had no control over and, therefore, limited my time. But I hopped everyday and have opted to Follow a few that held my interest.

Loved:
  • The sense of camaraderie
  • Meeting new people
  • The encouragement I got
Didn't love:
  • When people had superlong posts
  • Bloggers not making their theme clear 
  • Bloggers not saying what their blog was about in the sign-up list
Hope to see more of you next year!

11 comments:

  1. I'm 100% with you on the Loved's and Didn't loves! As for the sign up list l'm campaigning for an FF category - Flash Fiction. There are heaps of story-smiths out there and we get lumped in with all-sorts of the WR section. Congratulations on making it through. My blog is 10 years old and let me tell you, it doesn't get any easier!

    Visit Keith's Ramblings


    Visit Keith's Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I like the FF idea. Hope it takes off

      Delete
  2. I agree with your loved and disliked lists. Because there are so many blogs signed up for the challenge, I often skipped long posts. My own I tried to keep short as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Short posts do work best. I often skimmed or skipped long posts. Yours were just right. Congrats on making it through the month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with short posts. So many blogs to visit, so little time! I did skim other blogs quite a bit...I will read more of your challenge posts to get caught up on the story. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found several cool blogs during the Challenge, so that was great :). And I have to admit, I totally spaced on adding what my blog was about on the sign-up list. I don't know why I didn't do it. I guess it's just an oops on my part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I just had my name on the sign-up list! I won't be participating again, but I'll be cheering you guys on from the sidelines!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't bother with tagging my blog on the list because my main blog doesn't have a theme and the list said to use your main blog theme, not the theme for the challenge. Short posts definitely work better for the challenge when there's so many blogs to get around
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading all these reflections posts and taking in all the observations, it occurs to me that this challenge is the speed dating version of blogging. Write quickly, keep it short, keep clicking along from one blog to the next. Present yourself appropriately so people can tell at a glance what you're about without out having to invest too much time. Write what you think people want to read, as opposed to what you want to write (people are often surprised to learn these are rarely one and the same). Ish. I feel like I need a shower.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!