Saturday, 9 April 2016

#A-Z Challenge [2016]


How she could have doubted him, she had no idea. Richard was already at the coffee shop when she arrived in her Miss Sixty jeans and a similarly styled courier bag to the one Richard had been carrying. For the first time she wondered what was in the bag and again, wondered what he did for a living – if anything. How was he able to be at the coffee shop at time of day? Self-employed maybe?
“Marianne!” His smile was wide and bright. He stood as soon as she approached. He wore a white t-shirt with a design she couldn’t quite make out without staring at his chest for an overly-long time and decided that would look weird. She made eye contact.
“Hi, Richard. I thought I might be having coffee on my own again.”
“No, a promise is a promise. I was looking forward to seeing you again. Latte?”
Marianne nodded. She was sure he checked out the cut of her jeans and the way the cerise t-shirt looked on her. It was her colour, she knew that. “Would you like a pastry?” he asked.
“I shouldn’t, I didn’t run this morning.”
“Oh you run, too. So do I, around Ladbroke Square, mostly.”
“No way – so do I!”
“Apple Danish or Cinnamon Swirl?” he asked and they both answered “Apple Danish,” at the same time and laughed.
Up at the counter, Richard queued up but kept looking back at Marianne. Marianne, who hadn’t been able to take her eyes off him, blushed every time he looked over. He returned with a tray of goodies and set it down with such poise and elegance, she wondered if maybe his line of work was in the restaurant business.
“I was curious to know what you did, Marianne,” he said before sipping his coffee. “I mean, you’re off during the day. Are you self-employed, like me?”
“I was unemployed, for quite some time now but I’m starting a new job on Monday. Aries Art Gallery on Portobello Road.”
“You’re an artist?”
“Nothing so exciting. I’m an accountant. Basically I’ll be running their office and keeping on top of their finances.”
“I see. I’m sure it’ll keep you busy. I think they make a fortune there.”
“No need to fake being impressed. Isn’t accountancy supposed to be the most boring job in the world?” She held up a finger. “Don’t answer that. What about you? Unemployed or self-employed?”
“Self. I’m a copy editor and I also have a column in the Sunday Telegraph magazine.”
Marianne almost choked on her latte. “That’s amazing. I don’t take that paper but I’m sure there are journalists who’d kill to be in that position. What’s your column about?”
“Oh lifestyle mainly.” His phone rang. Those annoying bells again. He hesitated before answering. Was he about to ditch her again? At least he’d actually bought the coffee this time.

15 comments:

  1. Well I'm in! Can't wait to find out how she knows this guy. Always a sucker for a George Clooney type myself though my fella is more Harrison Ford!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, Harrison Ford. You lucky lady!

      Delete
  2. Cute story. A fun way to do the challenge. Nice little snippets as we watch the relationship unfold.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog today! It's cool and windy in Minnesota, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever and an interesting read!

    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge http://www.kathleenvalentineblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen. I'll hop over and see you soon!

      Delete
  4. Will he leave or won't he. Hmm... Was liking this until the interruption. LOL
    Truly, though, wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, a cliff hanger ending. ;) Now we have to wait until Monday to know if he bails again.

    ~Ninja Minion Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. ...and then they all eat ice cream and watch re-runs of Friends.
      The End ... or is it? Just have to wait until Monday.

      Delete
  7. He seems like a busy guy--but is he hiding something? We'll have to wait to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She sure had a lot of doubts about him. I do wonder why she's got all these naggling negative thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!