Thursday, 7 April 2016

#A-Z Challenge [2016]


For the rest of the morning Marianne pottered around the shops and stalls on Portobello Road. She knew them all so well by now but some of the stall holders managed to surprise her with some new trinkets and shiny things that she’d love to have in her flat but that she knew wouldn’t fit in. Her phone rang and she jumped. It was Jess.
“So are we celebrating or what?” Jess sounded as bubbly as usual.
“Celebrating?”
“Your new job?”
“It’s no biggy.”
Marianne’s younger sister had three children under the age of eight and very rarely went out. She knew that celebrating with Jess probably meant an invitation to dinner with her unruly children.
“I’m just taking it in my stride,” Marianne said. “Psyching myself up for being a worker bee again. No need to celebrate.”
“I mean a proper night out, Mari. You and I deserve one. How about Friday night?”
“Well …”
“I know you’re not booked.” Jess must know better than anyone that Marianne had no real friends to speak off. One by one they’d all had children and one by one Marianne managed to alienate them all. After her divorce all the friends she’d shared with Iain seemed to gravitate towards him. She wasn’t surprised. She’d become nothing but a uterus on speed, and a rubbish uterus at that. She literary only talked about ovaries, eggs, sperm and temperature charts whenever she met anyone. It was the easiest way to lose friends.
“Actually I do have something on, on Friday morning,” Marianne said and began to tell Jess about her brief encounter with Richard.
“It sounds like a date, Mari.”
“It’s not a date. It’s just coffee. And besides, I might not even show up.”
“But why? He sounds gorgeous.”
“Jess, he might be seeing someone and I really don’t know anything about him.”
“Well how will you ever know if you don’t go?”
“And what if he never shows up?”
“And how will you ever know if you don’t either?”
Jess had a good point. Was Richard, the George Clooney lookalike and the man she had a serious crush on, really worth all this aggravation? Should she actually turn up on Friday morning?

10 comments:

  1. Fun, Rosa! Like little bites of cake, or cookie. Thank you for sharing your sweet treats. :-)

    Cheers,
    Sati

    http://atozwriting.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! And I love the graphics too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. used to live near Portobello- still feel nostalgia now and then

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to live there too and always manage to bring that area of London into my stories. I guess I must be nostalgic.

      Delete
  4. so enjoyable - the post, not the coffee. Well I guess that as well really!LOL

    from @HelenHollick
    Let Us Talk Of Many Things
    Website
    Like Me On Facebook
    Find Me On An Amazon Near You

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why were none of the men George Clooney lookalikes when I was single?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you did this! A story in 26 pieces and each one starting with the letter of the day. Very unique!!
    Now I have to go back and read them all to catch up!
    Trisha Faye - www.embracinglifetribe.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, so she's going to show up, and yes I would too! Damn, sometimes it just doesn't pay to be a woman. So, tell me, what's he thinking? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!