Thursday, 28 April 2016

#A-Z Challenge [2016]


Xander Slater knocked on her door and entered. It was an hour since she’d spoken to Richard and she’d been expecting her boss to come up and reprimand her at any moment. It was only day two and she was already brining her personal life into the office.
He stood with one hand on the doorknob.
“You’ve got a visitor,” he said and looked at her, sternly.
“A visitor?” Marianne was confused. Xander stepped aside to reveal Jess standing behind him and looking sheepish.
“Sorry, Mari. I had to come and see you.”
Marianne looked at Xander, an apology plastered over her face. What must he think?
“Make it quick,” he said, ushering Jess in and closing the door.
Jess rushed over to Marianne who was now standing and hugged her.
“I’m sorry I let you down,” she sniffed. “Things just got out of hand. The children are just so demanding. So was Steven. I’d completely lost my identity and I wanted to find myself again.”
Marianne pulled away. “By cheating on your husband?”
“Don’t Mari. I know it was wrong of me. Steven is starting to forgive me, I hope you will too. I didn’t have anyone to turn to. I was lost.”
“You could have turned to me?”
“How could I? I had to be strong for you? You were falling to pieces, Mari. Your whole life was a mess and I owed it to you to be there. It’s just us two. Who else do we have?”
Marianne couldn’t speak. She looked at her sister, three years younger and she had always been the stronger of the two. When their parents died, Jess was the one who held Marianne and told her everything would be all right.
Overcome by a wave of guilt at her own selfishness, she grabbed Jess and squeezed her.
“How could I have been so blind? I sit on my high horse and I judge people. I know I do. I set standards for everyone to live by. Your life was the one I wanted. Happy marriage, children. I put you on a pedestal and that was wrong. I’m your big sister. You needed me and I let you down.” She looked into her sister’s eyes. “Today, everything changes. I promise. Whatever you need from me, Jess, you’ve got it.”
“You don’t know how glad I am to hear you say that.”

7 comments:

  1. That last line sounds like trouble...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, glad she made up with her sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay. The sisters made up.

    ~Ninja Minion Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sisters are the best. Argue, but never angry for long. I like their relationship, it's honest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever way to publish a story! I've just stumbled onto your blog with X; I'll have to go back to A and see what's up with these characters.
    @RhondaGilmour from
    Late Blooming Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad they're starting to mend their relationship, but that last line makes me nervous. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. nothing can not be fixed with a sincere apology.. and I'm glad their ok again. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!