Wednesday, 27 April 2016

#A-Z Challenge [2016]


What is it Richard?” She put a hand on his arm. He blinked. The tears ran down his face and he quickly wiped them away.
“Forgive me,” he said. “It’s been three years. I haven’t reacted like that when someone mentioned my wife in a long time.”
“Richard … do you mean …?”
“Yes. Caroline died. Three years ago. Cancer. Last week would have been her birthday and Zoe was taking it badly. I had to go to Reading, cheer her up, you know?”
“Of course. Oh Richard I’m so sorry. I didn’t know. I didn’t mean to -”
“Look it’s okay. I understand where you’re coming from. A perfect stranger asks you to dinner, you see him out with some girl. Of course you’re suspicious.”
“But still, I should have been more tactful.”
“Look forget that, Marianne. Could we start again? Could we have coffee and then can I ask you out for dinner again?”
Marianne’s face broke into a wide smile. “I’d like that, but I do have to get back to work.” She gave a hurried look through the window of the gallery. Penny and Xander were still watching, drinking coffee and eating pastries as if she and Richard were starring in the latest box set of ‘Drama on Portobello Road.’
“I should get back, too,” Richard said. “I left a woman looking after my laptop. It could be gone by now and all my work too. I’ll be there all day. Zoe has decided to decorate my spare room so the coffee shop is my office for the day. Why don’t you pop in after work?”
“Four thirty?”
“Perfect.”
She went back inside the gallery and apologised to Xander. Penny followed her up to her office.
“Tell me everything,” she said.

5 comments:

  1. Whew. At least Richard took her reaction well. If it was me, I'd be a little annoyed that they jumped to that conclusion so fast.

    ~Ninja Minion Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's just such a catch - how could he have reacted any differently:)

      Delete
  2. So glad they're straightening things out! I mean, I know it's a romance and they should get a HEA, but that doesn't necessarily mean they well. ;-)
    Carol at My Writing Journal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! I'm glad it's working out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!