Thursday, 21 April 2016

#A-Z Challenge [2016]


Richard seems nice enough, but I still can’t handle taking a risk. Finding I really like him and then being let down.” Marianne sat at the kitchen table while Jess loaded the dishwasher. Jess had poured them both a tall glass of white wine and came to join Marianne at the table. She put her hand on Marianne’s.
“Look Mari, why deny yourself even a moment’s pleasure. From what I can remember from the drunken haze I saw Richard through, he looked a nice person. Certainly good looking. And so what if it’s only one date? So what if you just have one night of rampant love making? Grab it with both hands. Live for the moment.”
“I should be saying the same to you, Jess.”
Jess sat up. “What are you talking about, Mari?”
“What you said at the weekend. I was worried about you. I’ve been out of mind thinking that you must be going through hell, bringing up three children when all the time your husband is cheating on you.”
Jess’s face fell. Marianne moved to the chair beside her.
“You can tell me, Jess. That’s what sisters are for. Sharing.” Jess covered her face with her hands. Her shoulders heaved up and down but she seemed to be weeping silently.
“That’s it, let it all out,” said Marianne. Jess looked up at her, red faced. She hadn’t been crying at all, but laughing.
“Silly, Marianne. Steven isn’t having an affair. I’m the one who had the affair.”
Marianne’s jaw fell open.
“Look I’m human okay?” Jess said. “It was a gym instructor. What can I say? I was bored. It lasted all of five minutes and I went and told Steven all about it. That’s why he stays away. He can’t bear to be with me, even though he said he forgave me. He can’t see passed it. I don’t blame him. I know it’ll take time.”
Marianne’s chair made a scraping sound on the kitchen floor as she stood.
“You cheated on Steven? You’ve had all the things I wanted and you messed it up for a a quick shag?”
“Don’t you start judging me, too. I’m not the one who drove everyone to distraction about fertility remember?”
Marianne grabbed her jacket and bag and raced to the door.
“I can’t talk to you now, Jess. I have to go.”
“Mari, wait. Do you hate me?”
Marianne didn’t reply. She closed the front door gently behind her and began to run the short distance home.

6 comments:

  1. Gah! Now I have to go and read everything in between A and R...
    I'm going to be busy!

    Donna
    Mainely Write
    http://mainelywrite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness. I didn't see that coming. Great scene to add depth to her character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, ha, nice monkey wrench! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice twist. I was not expecting that.

    ~Ninja Minion Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeep! That was a heavy entry. :-/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!