Saturday, 2 April 2016

A - Z Challenge [2016]


Balancing a tray containing a large café latte and a huge Apple Danish on a side plate, with her phone still in her hand and her handbag slipping off her shoulder, Marianne found herself a table in the corner. She shoved her phone into her bag, made herself comfortable and prepared to stuff a sizeable bite of the the pastry into her mouth.
Bells. All of a sudden she could hear bells and gazed out of the window in search of a church spire. There wasn’t one. But the bells didn’t stop and they seemed to be coming from her bag.
Chewing a mouthful of pastry she opened the bag and saw her phone flashing. She didn’t remember changing her ring tone. She answered quickly, because everyone in the coffee shop was staring at her.
“Hello?”
“You’ve got my phone,” a husky voice said from the other end.
“I’ve got what?”
“I think we switched them when we bumped into each other in the coffee shop doorway.” There was a lot of noise in the background from his end. Marianne smiled.
“Oh I’m so sorry,” she said. “I can meet you – swap back.”
“I’m at Paddington, about to jump on the eleven:fifty-two.”
“Later?”
“Spending the night in Reading. Tomorrow? Same place? Eleven o’clock? I’m not due back until about ten.”
“Absolutely. I’ll be here. I can get you that coffee I owe you.” She felt ridiculous the moment the words came out of her mouth.
“It’s my train. See tomorrow. It might ring quite a bit. Better turn it off.”
He hung up and was gone.

8 comments:

  1. A lucky coincidence? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Such a wonderful bump. Would want to know more on them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope he turns out to be a nice guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course, you know that you can't possibly end it here. This story deserves a part 2!

    Romance Author Piper Presley
    Blinded by the Blaze: Blogging from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh, does that even ring true? Scary, and yet hopeful! LOL Love it!

    Me again!
    Happy Second Day of the A to Z!
    Ninga Minion @YolandaRenee from
    Defending The Pen
    Parallels
    Murderous Imaginings

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever approach to the challenge! I love the idea of using a sequential letter of the alphabet for each chapter of a story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh! She's got his phone now! I wonder if they'll get that coffee..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!