Tuesday, 19 April 2016

#A-Z Challenge [2016]


Perhaps. It’s the first day in my job and everything.” Marianne knew she was backtracking. Her head was telling her to just cut the whole thing off now before she got too carried away but her heart was telling her that she really wanted to be carried away – by Richard. He still sounded as sexy as hell, despite the girl from the selfie. Maybe she was just a fling that she could forgive him for. Maybe after they had dinner she could politely ask that he put all his cards on the table about seeing other people. Too heavy, she thought.
The whole situation was too heavy. She made a decision.
“You know something, Richard, my circumstances have changed. I really need to be here for my sister. She’s going through some stuff and I’m really not sure I’d be good company for dinner or anything else come to that. Is it okay if I take it back.”
“Take it back?”
“Yes, my decision to have dinner with you this week.”
“Well, sure, if you’ve got stuff to sort out. Maybe next week?”
“Well next week won’t do really.”
“Oh I see.” Richard let out a long breath. “It’s okay, Marianne, I get where you’re coming from. I won’t put you under any pressure, but …”
“Yes?”
“I was just going to say, you’ve got my number if you change your mind.”
“I don’t have your number, Richard. I didn’t take it down when I had your phone as you obviously did mine. So I guess I won’t be calling you.”
“Oh, okay. Well then. I see … I think. It’s just I thought …”
“Goodbye, Richard.”
“’bye Marianne.”
She hung up.

4 comments:

  1. whoa, that sounds like a goodbye.
    I like the script, seems like a very nice read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! I love the way the phone call was written--excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we didn't have days left in the challenge I'd say that's that, but Richard still has a chance of running into her.

    ~Ninja Minion Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk about overreaction. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!