Friday, 15 April 2016

#A-Z Challenge [2016]


Marianne gave up on trying to get from the taxi to her front door in heels. The stairs from the pavement leading up to the Georgian house seemed to be moving before her eyes and making her sea sick – shoes off was the way to go. Jess was hanging onto her shoulder and staggering beside her so it was hard to balance.
“I had a good night. Did you have a good night?” Jess bellowed in the downstairs hallway once Marianne had managed to turn the key in the lock. Marianne put a finger to her lips to shush Jess. There was a rule about late night and early morning arrivals and departures from the house, but Marianne’s shushing was louder than Jess’s voice.
The hobbled up the stairs and into Marianne’s flat, each heading for on of the leather, Ikea sofas that faced each other across the coffee table, and each crashing face down onto one.
“I hate men,” Jess said.
“Shouldn’t that be my line?” Marianne turned her head to look at her sister who had one arm and one leg trailing from the sofa onto the floor.
“At least you didn’t marry that George Clooney guy. At least you found out now he was a bastard and didn’t go and have three kids with him like I did.”
Marianne was silent.
“I’m sorry,” Jess said. “I’m drunk I don’t know what I’m saying. I didn’t mean -”
“It’s all right. I can’t expect people not to talk about babies, Jess, any more than I can expect Richard to be exclusive to me. Not after one coffee for crying out loud. Let’s get some sleep. You sure Steven is okay with you staying out all night? What about the kids?”
“To hell with Steven,” Jess said staggering to her feet. “He can sample what it’s like to sort out three screaming kids on a Saturday morning for a change. Besides. it’s not as if he hasn’t stayed out all night before. At least he knows where the hell I am.”
Marianne watched Jess make her way to the bathroom. She never imagined for one second that Jess was unhappy in her marriage. She’d always seen getting married and having children as the be all and end all of life. But as she heard her sister throwing up in the loo for the next five minutes, she realised that her situation with Richard Howell was not life threatening.
Maybe she could meet him for dinner next week. After all, didn’t she deserve an explanation?

4 comments:

  1. Haha, I'm posting a story in mini installments as well! But mine is on the opposite side of the genre spectrum: children's books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for dropping by my blog for the A-Z. Looks like you've got a very interesting short story going here. I'll be back to check out more of it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds as though she getting some sense about her. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "She’d always seen getting married and having children as the be all and end all of life." I'm glad she's getting some perspective--I'm sure she'll be even better after she gets over what's likely to be an awful hangover.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!