Tuesday, 8 March 2016

Author Spotlight - Heather McCoubrey

It's publication day today for Heather McCoubrey! Her novel, Emily's Choice, releases today and I'm pleased to share a little about both the book and the writer.

Firstly, in her own words:

Hello everyone, I’m Heather. I’d like to thank Rosa for having me on her blog today!

I’m a Stay-at-Home Mom, who in her spare time, writes books. This book that is being published tomorrow, EMILY’S CHOICE, has been a real labor of love. I first wrote this book twenty-three years ago, when I was a senior in high school. I wrote a very rough draft and put it aside, intending to send it out to agents and publishers. I joined the Air Force right after graduation, and in the demands of military life, my book got shuffled to the bottom of my priority list. I would take it out every so often, read it, edit it, rewrite portions and then it would get filed away, forgotten in the bustle of life.

When I left the Air Force, another chapter of my life took priority and I found myself a newly married woman, living in a new city, with a new job. Again life took me down a road I wasn’t expecting and again my writing kept collecting dust on the shelf. I won’t say I didn’t do any writing, because that would be a lie. I started several story ideas, even getting thousands of words written. But I never finished a project and I never published anything. I worked my writing in when I could spare some time, which wasn’t often.

And then came the babies. First came our son and then almost three years later, our daughter. Forget writing, at that point. I could barely find the time to keep the house clean, the laundry done and make dinner – there was no writing happening at this point. When our daughter was a year and a half, we moved to Pennsylvania. When she started preschool, I finally had some time to myself and I got back to my writing.

In October 2011, a friend of mine finally convinced me to participate in the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). My debut novel TO LOVE TWICE was started during that event and I finished it in January 2013. After beta reader input and some revisions, I published it in March 2013. My second novel BACK TO DECEMBER was published in June 2014.

I had good intentions of writing and publishing more that year, but I soon learned we were expecting another bundle of joy. Our newest blessing was born in January 2015 and I was immediately reminded of how time-consuming infants are! The only thing I could manage was working closely with my editor and rewriting EMILY’S CHOICE. It was a project I’d been wanting to do for a long time, but I was lost in all the different drafts and rewrites I had accumulated over the years. She helped me sort through them all, decide what would work and what wouldn’t and now, here we are, less than 24 hours away from its release!

Lately, I’ve been hard at work writing my fourth novel, tentatively titled THE RED LIGHT. It’s a romantic suspense novel, which is a bit of a departure for me, but I’ve had a blast writing it. It’s scheduled to be published this summer.

I truly hope you enjoy Emily & Jason’s story! They’ve gone through many ups and downs, some you’ll read about and some that are lost forever in the memory of a girl who worked so diligently on her first novel so many years ago.

Happy Reading! xoxo

The Blurb:

Emily Camancho walks in on her fiancé with her hated cousin, Lila, the night before their wedding, giving truth to the years of rumors and whispers that have plagued their relationship. Pregnant and devastated she flees across the country and settles in Boston with her stepsister.

Waking alone and oblivious to the events of the previous night, Jason Vaughn is panicked when he finds out Emily has left and isn’t coming back. Determined to prove his innocence and win Emily back, he tricks Lila into confessing and works to woo Emily. Regardless of Jason’s efforts, Emily cannot trust him and moves on with her life.

Eighteen months later, Emily’s beloved stepmother is in a car accident, and she rushes home to say her goodbyes. When Emily disappears after the funeral, held captive by her psychotic cousin, her life is put in danger unless she can convince Jason to cease his efforts and marry Lila. But the only man she’s ever loved will risk his own life to bring her home safe and prove, once and for all, that she’s always been the only love of his life.

Meet the writer:
Heather McCoubrey is a native of Maine but having moved all over the U.S. as a child, she doesn't sound like one. She's been writing since middle school when a teacher taught her she could create her own stories instead of just reading them. That year she had some of her first poems published in the school magazine and from there she graduated to writing a full-length novel in high school.

She is the self-published author of TO LOVE TWICE, her debut novel. Her second novel, BACK TO DECEMBER, was released in June 2014 and the novel that she wrote in high school, EMILY'S CHOICE, was released in March 2016. She is currently working on her fourth novel, scheduled to be released summer 2016.

Heather resides in Pennsylvania with her husband, three children, Rex the chihuahua, Killer the outside cat, and Fatty the goldfish. When she's not being super-mom and wife, she ekes out time to write, watch football, practice her British accent and dream of living on an island where it's eighty degrees year-round.

To get your copy of Emily's Choice and to connect with Heather, please click below:

Blog: Romantic Escapes

Twitter: @h_mccoubrey

Facebook

Goodreads

Pinterest

Amazon

Google+

Universal Buy Link

And now for a sneak peek special! - An excerpt from Emily's Choice:


Two hours later, Emily was sitting with her aunt and cousin when Tyler appeared in front of her. “There’s someone here to see you, Em. I put him in Dad’s office.”

A puzzled frown crossed her face. She wasn’t expecting anyone and couldn’t fathom who would be here for her. “Who is it?”

Tyler shrugged. “Don’t know, but he said it was urgent and would only take a moment.”

“Hm.” Emily stood and went to her father’s office. She opened the door and found a man standing by her father’s desk. “Can I help you?” she asked.

“Hello, Emily.” He walked toward her with his hand held out.

“I’m sorry, do I know you?” she asked, folding her arms against her chest.

“Not yet, but we’re about to get very well acquainted.”

Emily took a step back. “Listen, we’re in the middle of a funeral. Whatever you have to say to me is nowhere near as important as that.”

“I think you’ll change your mind once you hear what I have to say.”

Emily tapped a finger against her arm, eyebrow raised. “Then say it so I can get back to my guests.”

“You need to come with me.”

“Excuse me?”

“The life of your daughter depends on it.”

Emily’s heart stopped and she dropped her arms to her sides. “What are you talking about? What have you done?”

“She is safe right now, but if you don’t come with me—quietly and willingly—then I can’t promise her fate.”

“Of course she’s safe,” Emily said with forced bravado. Sadie was still next door with Papa Joe, she had to be. He would have called her if Sadie was missing.

“No, that she isn’t.”

“Who are you?” Emily yelled.

“My name is Edward.”

“What do you want? How do I get Sadie back?”

“Come with me.”

Emily took a deep breath and nodded. “All right, I’ll come. What do I need? Money?”

“No.”

She followed Edward out of her father’s office, down the hall, and through the living room. She kept her eyes on his back, knowing if she caught anyone’s eye, she’d give up the charade and risk Sadie’s safety.

Scenarios flew through her mind, all bad. She tried to tamp down the panic that was threatening to take over. Her mind was so busy on the worst case thoughts that she almost missed Sadie’s giggle. But there it was, distinct and safe across the room.

She stopped in her tracks and quickly scanned the room. Her eyes almost immediately found Sadie, sitting on Jason’s lap. Her panic dropped a half level. But she was still scared. Right on the heels of “she’s safe” came “who is this man and why is he threatening us?”

She caught Jason’s eye for a second, and he must have sensed something was wrong because he handed Sadie off to Phoebe and started in her direction. She averted her gaze and caught up with Edward who was just opening the screen door.

When he cleared the threshold, Emily closed the screen door between them. “I don’t know what game you’re playing, but it ends now. If you show your face around here again, I’ll call the sheriff.”

Edward walked to the screen door and tried to open it. “Your daughter’s life is hanging in the balance, lady.”

“My daughter is safe and sound, this I know as fact. Get off my property.”

He opened his mouth as if to say something, but Jason arrived and stood like a sentry behind her.

“Problem?” he drawled.

“No, this man was just leaving.”

Rage burned in Edward’s eyes as he turned on his heel and left.

“Who was that?” Jason asked.

“I don’t know who he was,” she said, turning away from the door and moving into the living room. She scanned the room again, searching for Sadie. She needed, more than anything right now, to hold her baby girl. Who would threaten a baby?

She found Phoebe by Grace’s piano. Tyler was playing one of Grace’s favorite songs. Sadie was smiling, clapping, and dancing in Phoebe’s arms.

“Mama! Dance!”

Emily smiled, tears brimming in her eyes. The sudden release of adrenaline made her weepy and even more out of sorts than she already was.

“Why are you crying?” Jason asked.

She jumped, not realizing he’d followed her. “You know why I’m crying,” she said, keeping her face averted. She held out her hands and Sadie jumped into her arms. Emily buried her face in Sadie’s neck, breathing deeply of her baby scent. Thank God she was safe.

Jason took hold of Emily’s arm. Startled, she looked up and knew immediately that she’d given everything she was thinking and feeling away.

“What’s going on, Emily?”

“I don’t know!”

“Who was that man? What did he want?”

“Look, this isn’t the time or place.” She nodded toward Sadie.

“You’re scared. I can see it in your eyes!”

Emily sighed. She nodded toward the kitchen and handed Sadie back to Phoebe. Emily walked through the kitchen and out onto the back porch.

“I don’t know who he was. He said his name was Edward. He just showed up and told me to go with him because Sadie’s life was in danger. He wanted me to believe he’d kidnapped Sadie. And I was on my way to go with him when I heard Sadie giggling across the room.”

“And you didn’t think this was important to tell me? She’s my daughter, too.”

“I know that. But it was over, he left. And Sadie is fine.”

“But there was still a threat. A threat happened. One that you were gonna sacrifice yourself for.” He reached out and pulled her to his chest. “When are you gonna realize you don’t have to do this all alone?”

For a moment, she allowed herself to revel in the strength and comfort he offered. She’d missed this. She could admit it to herself. But never to him. She took a deep breath in, capturing his scent in her memory, and then stepped back.

“He said he’d hurt her. I couldn’t risk not going with him.”

Jason nodded. “Until we figure out who he is and what he wants, Sadie can’t be left alone.”

“Jason, she’s eighteen months old. She can’t be left alone anyway.” She smiled to take the sting out of her words.

“Right.” He grinned. “You shouldn’t be alone either. It’s obvious you were his main objective.”

She sighed. “Jason, I’ve told you. We,” she moved her finger between them, “aren’t a thing. Don’t try to use this as some way to slither your way back into my good graces.”

He stiffened. Hurt and anger flashed in his eyes. She immediately regretted her words.

He turned and started walking away from her. “I need some air. Tell Sadie I’ll be back in a little bit.”

Emily reached out a hand. “I’m sorry,” she said softly.

Turning, he glared at her. “Excuse me for still caring about you. But hey, you’ve proved just how independent you are. I get it. You don’t trust me. You don’t need me.” He turned his back on her. “Do what you want. You’ve been doing that all along, anyway. Why stop now?” With that stinging barb, he stalked off.


Thank you Heather, I can't wait to read Emily's Choice!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me on your blog, today, Rosa! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!