Tuesday, 23 February 2016

Book Review - Strictly Between Us

Strictly Between Us by Jane Fallon was a fun and entertaining read!
First off, I really liked the cover design. So simple, yet effective. Lipstick on the coffee cup to foreshadow revelations and secrets.

The Blurb:

Rumours, secrets and lies. It's all in a day's work.
Tamsin and her best friend Michelle have been inseparable since they were teenagers. Even now they spend all their time together, along with Patrick, Michelle's handsome husband.
So when Tamsin hears a rumour that Patrick is having an affair, she is furious. Unwilling to ignore it, Tamsin plots a scheme to catch Patrick in the act, using her assistant Bea as live-bait. It should be fool proof.
After all, Tamsin can trust Bea with anything. From her daily coffee order to fetching her dry-cleaning, writing reports and doing all the filing - Bea does everything with a smile on her face.
Except Tamsin never considered Bea might have her own agenda.
And if she does, then Tamsin really needs to watch her back . . .

My Review:

Jane Fallon has produced a colourful group of dysfunctional and controversial characters in Strictly Between Us. It has a dynamic opening, to the point and instantly engaging. The dialogue is sharp and witty, although a few times the writer allowed them to speak in Americanisms I wouldn't have expected for these people.
It was a real page turner for me and I found myself rooting for the truth to come out, rather than for any one particular character. I took an instant dislike to Tamsin and really wanted her to have her comeuppance, which I suppose Fallon achieves in the best way possible.
It was an intriguing plot with a comfortable amount of twists and turns. Fallon keeps us guessing until the last drop - I liked that.
If this book was read by a reading group there would be lots of points for discussion, especially given the themes covered in this book. All of them relevant to today's woman and all of them dealt with in an entertaining way.
I liked this book. It may not be one I'll rave about to friends and I'm not likely to read it again but it was a lively, well paced book and glad to have read it.
Not sure what my next chick-lit fix is going to be. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Most of the time I don’t make comments on websites, but I'd like to say that this article really forced me to do so. Really nice post!
    bizarre and unusual

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!