Monday, 21 September 2015

Author Interview - Sonia Farnsworth


It's my pleasure to welcome Sonia Farnsworth, author of Losing The Plot In LA, to my blog today. Sonia gifted me a copy of the book and I couldn't wait to ask her a few questions.
What was the thing that influenced you to start writing? 
My imagination and life experiences. I love to people watch and then make up stories about them. I’ve been writing stories since I was a kid; it’s always been very cathartic and fun for me.

Tell me your success stories in terms of publishing/self-publishing? 
I found a wonderful publisher called Mascot Books. Mascot Books is a mix of traditional publishing and self-publishing. We worked together on everything, the editing, the book design, and cover design; everything was a team effort which I really enjoyed. They take care of 100% of the distribution which is fantastic. They also helped me get book signings at Barnes & Noble. Naren Aryal the CEO/Founder and the rest of his team have been amazing to work with.

What are your top writing tips for any aspiring writer? 
Take writing very seriously, as if it’s your day job. If you can’t write 8 hours a day make a plan to write minimally for at least an hour which will usually turn into much more once you get the juices flowing! No getting out of your chair, no circling the fridge, no emails, no texting, stay in your seat and write! Focus on that hour and you will be amazed at how a little adds up to a lot and eventually a book!

What are you working on now? 
I’ve been asked to do a series on the “Losing the Plot” theme but I have a book I finished a few years ago, so I’m still deciding which direction to go. Either way it looks like I’m sticking with Chick-Lit.

What do you draw on for inspiration?
My life experiences and people watching. As the cliché goes, life is stranger than fiction so it gives me a lot of inspiration. I can sit for hours watching people and making up stories about them. That being said piecing it all together into a full blow book is another story, which is where the challenge comes in.

Please tell me anything else you'd like the reader to know about you. 
In 4th grade the teacher asked the class to write on the chalk board what we wanted to be when we grew up. I wrote that I wanted to be a writer and you could see how unimpressed the class was, like how boring. The rest of the class wrote exciting things like Fireman, Policeman, Doctor, Actress, and Rock star, while looking at me like I was a total dork which is not far off the mark as that is exactly what I am…. A dork!

Thank you Sonia!

To connect with Sonia, hop over to her Goodreads Page
To get your copy of Losing The Plot In LA:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by, see you next time!